Saturday, April 10, 2010

Doggity dog dogersons

We are going to get a dog!  It's amazing how much thought and angst and pointed waiting went into the decision to get a pooch.  Now we have to actually get one.  I believe strongly in mutts and shelter dogs, and we (our family, but also society in general) are lucky to have a lot of rescue groups in the area with dogs needing homes.

I know that there are a lot of jerks out there, who view dogs as mere property or something akin to a disposable toy.  To me, it's pretty close to adopting a child -- this is it, for life.  The good news is that rescue groups take their responsibilities seriously.  The bad news is that they take their responsibilities seriously.  I feel like I am trying to buy a gun or something.  There's the application, the references, the home visit, the trial period.  I really, truly am very glad the dogs in their care have landed with people who take their welfare so seriously.


But they need to have a fast-track approval process for, well, me.  Doesn't everyone in the world know by now that I know what I'm doing?  Give me the dog, already.

Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment